Our Vestry is inviting St. Luke’s to consider becoming a
“Believe Out Loud” Episcopal congregation,
one that welcomes lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons.
We believe that each of us is made in God's image: beautiful and beloved, unique and whole.
- September 17, 9:30am in the Library, "For the Bible Tells Me So."
- October 9, 2016: Opening this Sacred Conversation with Covenant and Reflection, led by Jana Parker.
- November 10, 2016: The History of Same-Sex Relationships in the Episcopal Church, led by Corinne Wieben.
- December 4, 2016: Reflection on Scripture in the Episcopal Church, led by Dina Strong Grimmett
- January 12, 2017: Guest speakers Howard and Randi Robinson, “Sharing our Story,” introduced by Ed Gregori. Randi and Howard will share their inspiring journey following their son’s coming out as a gay man and how this deepened their understanding of scripture and transformed their Christian faith.
- February 26, 2017: Dina Strong Grimmett returns. Join us as we go deeper in conversation about scripture and same-sex relationships in our Episcopal tradition.
- June 25, 2017: The Celebration & Blessing of a Marriage. Led by Fr. Abshire.
Resources for discussion
- "I Will Bless You and You Will Be a Blessing" -- 150 pages of liturgical resources and discussion guide for the The Witnessing & Blessing of a Lifelong Covenant in the Episcopal Church (2015 update). Wedding service only, formatted for liturgical use.
- "Letter to Louise" -- Theological reflection and scriptural resources
- A Covenant for Sacred Conversation (below/right)
Relevant Columns from Fr. Abshire
The Vestry and Clergy have recently reflected on whether St. Luke's is being called to become a "Believe Out Loud" church, that is, a church which openly welcomes Christians who identify themselves as LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, etc.).
The Believe Out Loud program starts with a process where there is a time of discernment for the congregation, so that the Parish can explore together how our church could be a more welcoming community.
The “Believe Out Loud” discernment process started October 9, 2016.
Keep St. Luke’s ever in your prayers, as we enter into this sacred time of discernment!
More information about the national Believe Out Loud program here.